Home / History
The company Binders was established in 1993 – during the period, which is famous in the history of the Latvian economy as the beginning of the comprehensive privatisation of companies. Also, the Saulkrasti 2nd Road Construction District at that time (2. RCD) was at the front of the changes. There were several applicants for privatisation of the company or the Vangazi asphalt-concrete production site, being in its composition, and different projects were developed, but the most successful one was a solution, for the implementation of which the construction company SIA Arčers, which was quite experienced at that time, was attracted. Quite a brave step was made at that time – the privatised material and technical as well as specialist resources of 2.RCD were used as a basis for the foundation of a new road construction company.
On 25 November 1993, SIA Binders – the company with a hundred percent of local capital – was registered, who has been able to maintain belonging to the category until now.
In the early 1990s many road construction companies broke down, but they were difficult times, not only for the road construction industry. There were many uncertainties and contradictions in the national economic processes, and the survival of the newly established companies was a huge challenge. Inhabitants of Saulkrasti were able to work at Riga Trade Port and forest logging – road constructors sawed logs and produced firewood for three years.
Little by little, the company also received other orders – asphalted fuel station fields, access roads and private yards and also had some orders for works on public roads. Gradually, step by step, Binders has reached its market share in Latvia and is currently one of the biggest and most experienced infrastructure site construction companies.
One of the core values of the company was, is and will be respect towards traditions of the industry and people, who can now already be called veterans of road construction, but the persistence, knowledge and work of whom during the times of economic confusion in the 1990s enabled it to survive and to settle for both the recently established company, as well as one of the few really national economic industries – road construction.
Key facts about the company:
- foundation – 25 November 1993;
- during 2001–2002, thanks to the rapid development of the whole industry and the EU funding for several large-volume projects in road building and reconstruction in Latvia, the company experienced growth in turnover;
- in the June of 2005, within the framework of unlimited partnership Binders un partneri, the company concluded until then financially the largest contract in the company’s history, in the amount of 44.5 million EUR, with a public limited company Latvijas Valsts ceļi on the reconstruction of the road Via Baltica in the 40 km long section Skulte-Svētciems;
- August of 2006 – reconstruction and extension of a railway access road for the asphalt concrete plant in Vangaži, which significantly optimised the delivery of imported raw materials;
- 1 August 2007 – opening of the new asphalt concrete plant in Vangaži. The former plant in Vangaži was the oldest road construction materials plant in Latvia, which had experienced several technological transformations and reconstructions, until in 2006 the company decided to dismantle the plant and build a new modern asphalt concrete plant in its place, which was developed by the German company AMMANN Asphalt GmbH after the request of Binders;
- 2006 – so far the fastest growing turnover of the company, in comparison with the previous year – almost double;
- in 2008,Binders was the first in Eastern Europe to use the asphalt anti-segregation equipment which before laying changes the asphalt into its initial condition, quality of which is partially decreased during the transportation of asphalt from the plant to the object;
- in 2008, Binders acquired ownership of shares in Limbažu ceļi Ltd.
- in 2009, the first contract concluded with a foreign customer – the company was acknowledged as the best bidder within the international competitive bidding of the NATO Maintenance and Supply Agency for the first stage of reconstruction of the Lielvārde airfield;
- in the autumn of 2012, an asphalt concrete plant starts to operate in Daugavpils;
- In 2015 the international co-funding project was successfully implemented in Vangaži asphalt-concrete production site, significantly supplementing the technological possibilities of the production site – now it is possible to use recycled material – milled asphalt – for the production process, and the technology is introduced for the production of warm asphalt enriched with special additives, as well as machinery is installed for the production of polymer modified bitumen;
- In 2018 the asphalt-concrete production sites of the company in Vangaži and Daugavpils each produced the millionth tone of production. In Vangaži the volume has been reached in 11 years, and the production site in Daugavpils – in 18 years;
- In 2023, the construction of the Ķekava bypass was completed – the first public-private partnership (PPP) project in infrastructure construction in the Baltic States, implemented according to the model: design – build – finance – maintain. Project and construction: AS “Kekava ABT” (Luxembourg investment fund TIIC 2 (SCA) SICAR, AS “A.C.B.”, SIA “Binders”).
- The highest turnover of the company so far was reached in 2019 – EUR 107,3 million;
- The total turnover during 30 years – about EUR 800 million;
- The amount of taxes paid during 30 years – about EUR 70 million;
- Financial support, only in the form of donations (excluding other support forms) during 30 years to the social, culture, art, education and sports projects and events in Latvia, is provided in the amount of approximately EUR 3 million.